20 May 2019
Vitor Vasconcelos moderates workshop session for the National Strategy for the Sea 2020-2030
The Minister of the Sea, Ana Paula Vitorino, invited prof. Vítor Vasconcelos to moderate the session on "Scientific Strategy for the Sea", in the first Cycle of Workshops regarding the elaboration of the "National Strategy for the Sea 2020-2030". The Session took place on May 20 in Algés (IPMA).
With the aim of creating tools and work fronts for the elaboration of the National Sea Strategy for the period 2020-2030, a series of Workshops with different panels of specialists in the area of the Sea were developed.
In this context, Vitor Vasconcelos, director of CIIMAR, was invited by the Minister of the Sea, Ana Paula Vitorino to moderate the session on "Scientific Strategy for the Sea", in the first Cycle of Workshops regarding the elaboration of the “National Strategy for the Sea 2020-2030" (ENM2030).
The session counted on a panel of experts in the area such as António Sarmento (Wavec), Paulo Ferrão (IST / UL), Miguel Miranda (IPMA) and Nuno Lourenço (Ceiia).
The discussion developed during this workshop focused mainly on responding to six big issues related role of science for the ENM2030:
- - What are the great synergy opportunities between ENM 2030 and science politics?
- - Which are the strategic areas of the sea in which Portugal should concentrate its investment in science?
- - What are the needs for supporting national science infrastructures and to access international science infrastructures?
- - What role should science play in the development of the Port Tech Clusters (technological acceleration platforms of the sea industries in ports)?
- - What policies are important to implement in order to increase innovation and the creation of new companies from scientific progress?
- - What should be Portugal's focus on the agenda for the United Nations Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development?