Maria Leonor Nunes
IPMA - Instituto Português do Mar e da Atmosfera
SEAFOODTOMORROW: Nutritious, safe and sustainable seafood for consumers of tomorrow
SEAFOODTOMORROW aims to strengthen the European seafood production and processing industry by providing validated, commercially viable, and eco-innovative solutions that will improve seafood quality and safety, minimise environmental impacts, and drive socioeconomic development within the seafood industry.
Meeting the growing market need for safe, sustainable seafood is a formidable challenge for the European seafood industry. With European seafood imports presently reaching almost 70%, and global food demands projected to increase by 80-100% by 2050, it is vital to source and validate environmentally friendly and innovative seafood production and processing methods that will reduce European dependency on imports. Such solutions need to underpin seafood security in-line with market demand, whilst maintaining quality and traceability throughout the value chain to support consumer confidence.
- Validation of nutritional and safety aspects of eco-innovative seafood solutions through certified methodologies carried out by independent partners.
- Easily-accessible database with seafood innovative products validation data for the implementation of a digital traceability tool linked to quality labels.
- Improved understanding of market acceptance of eco-innovative seafood solutions in different European regions and demographics.
- Validation of sustainable solutions from economic and environmental perspectives.
- Benchmark for certification schemes of seafood quality and traceability for industry to strengthen consumer confidence and trust in European seafood.
- Reduction of public health risks and promotion seafood consumption through transparent and responsible communication, dissemination, knowledge transfer and exploitation of the outcomes to the different stakeholders.