The main interest is the searching for new pharmacologically active compounds from natural or synthetic origin, through competencies in the rational design, synthesis, structure elucidation, determination of biophysicochemical parameters of bioactive compounds, their biological activities investigation as well as the development of safer environmental products. The long term objective is to obtain novel compounds based on innovative marine bioproducts which can be used as new chemical entities and potential biomedicines and their economic valorization by patent protection.
MEDICINAL CHEMISTRY: DRUG DISCOVERY AND DRUG DESIGN
Ana Rita Neves
Cátia Vilas Boas
Maria Elizabeth Tiritan
Maria Emília Sousa
Maria Miguel Coelho
Marta Correia da Silva
Long, S.; Resende, D.; Kijjoa, A.; Silva, A.; Tiritan, M.E.; Pereira-Terra, P.; Freitas Silva, J.; Barreiro, S.; Silva, R.; Remião, F.; Pinto, E.; Costa, P.; Sousa, M.E.; Pinto, M. (2020). New Marine-Derived Indolymethyl Pyrazinoquinazoline Alkaloids with Promising Antimicrobial Profiles. RCSAdvances,10(52):31187-31204.
Almeida, J.R., Palmeira, A., Campos, A., Cunha, I., Freitas, M., Felpeto, A.B., Turkina, M.V., Vasconcelos, V., Pinto. M., Correia-da-Silva, M. and Sousa, E. (2020). Structure-Antifouling Activity Relationship and Molecular Targets of Bio-Inspired(thio)xanthones, Biomolecules.
Loureiro, D.R.P., Magalhães, A.F., Soares, J.X., Pinto, J., Azevedo, C.M.G., Vieira, S., Henriques, A., Ferreira, H., Neves, N., Bousbaa, H., Reis, S., Afonso, C.M.M., and Pinto, M.M.M. (2020). Yicathins B and C and Analogues: Total Synthesis, Lipophilicity and Biological Activities, ChemMedChem, 15, 1-8.
Pinto, P., Machado, C.M., Moreira, J., Almeida, J. D.P., Silva, P.M.A., Henriques, A.C., Soares, J.X., Salvador, J.A.R., Afonso, C., Pinto; M., Bousbaa, H., Cidade. H. (2019). Chalcone derivatives targeting mitosis: synthesis, evaluation of antitumor activity and lipophilicity, European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 184, 111752, 1-14.
Araújo, J., Fernandes, C., Pinto, M. and Tiritan, M.E. (2019). Chiral Derivatives of Xanthones with Antimicrobial Activity. Molecules, 24, 314.
- BLUEandGREEN: Boosting scientific excellence and innovation capacity in biorefineries based on marine resources
- INNOVMAR: Innovation and Sustainability in the Management and Exploitation of Marine Resources
- Antiincrustante: Overcoming environmental problems associated with antifouling agents: synthesis of Natureinspired nontoxic biocides and immobilization in polymeric coatings.
- QUIMIOCARDIOTOX: Poisoning the heart with anticancer drugs: is metabolic bioactivation or aging promotion the link to the cardiotoxicity of anticancer drugs?
- ACTONP53: Targeting p53 family proteins: on the route to new anticancer agents
- Navigating through marine-derived fungi: bioprospection and synthesis of bioactive secondary metabolites and analogues as chemotherapic agents
- XANTIFOUL: Oxygenated xanthone derivatives as antifouling agents
- ATLANTIDA: Platform for the monitoring of the North Atlantic ocean and tools for the sustainable exploitation of the marine resources
- SEPIS4ENVIRONM: Siderophore efflux pump inhibitors (SEPIs) conjugates: A new concept for environmental problems
- NIAF: Sustainable antifouling agents: from grape wastes to the sea with the green chemistry leading the way
- SEA ANTIMICROBIALS: Pyrazino [1,2-B]Quinazoline-3,6-Diones derivatives, their Production and uses thereof